A resident of Olympia since late 2013, Walter served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Washington for three years. As a public servant, he investigated and litigated qui tam and other cases alleging Medicaid healthcare provider fraud, and cases concerning campaign finance violations. His past experience includes representing a major state agency in administrative litigation related to tax assessments and working in a consumer bankruptcy and litigation practice in Seattle. In law school, he worked as an extern for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Washington, the Federal Trade Commission Northwest Regional Office in Seattle, and the Washington Attorney General’s Office. He was awarded the American Bar Association’s Janet D. Steiger Fellowship in 2012 to support public service work in consumer protection and antitrust law in Washington. Walter provides pro bono legal services through the Pierce County Bar Association’s bankruptcy clinic and Thurston County Volunteer Legal Services.
Walter was born and raised in Seattle, where he attended public schools and
graduated from the Nova Project high school. In college, he spent a year studying abroad in India and worked as a student teacher in the Chicago Public Schools. When he is not practicing law, Walter enjoys hiking, biking, and exploring the outdoors with his partner, a U.S. Air Force veteran, and their German Shepherd puppy.
- Admitted to Practice in Washington: 2013
- Juris Doctor (with Honors), University of Washington School of Law, 2013
- Bachelor’s Degree, Sociology (with Honors), University of Chicago, 2009
Selected trainings and presentations:
- National Association of Medicaid Fraud Control Units, Omaha, NE (Sept. 2016): Presented at conference concerning constitutional and statutory issues litigated in Washington v. Mann, resulting in $2.7 million judgment for the State (read more about the case here)
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Building Trial Skills program participant (Seattle, Sept. 2016)
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Deposition Skills program participant (Seattle, Aug. 2014)
Selected past casework:
- See Washington Attorney General’s Office news release for filing of State v. Eyman here
- See Washington Attorney General’s Office news release for filing of State v. CareOne Dental Corporation here
- See Washington Attorney General’s Office news releases for other cases here